DMV Residency Documents

You must provide 2 different forms of acceptable residency documents when applying for an original California driver license or California identification card. When using a mailing address that is a post office (PO) box or general delivery, you must provide an actual place of residence on your application.  The address on the residency documents must match the residence address on your application.

NOTE: If you are applying for a driver license in compliance with AB 60, you are only required to provide 1 residency document.

Residency documents marked with a single asterisk (*) do not need to display the California address.

  • Rental or lease agreement with the signatures of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident.
  • Deed or title to residential real property.
  • Mortgage bill.
  • Home utility bill (including cellular phone).
  • School document as defined in California Code of Regulations §16.06(a)(1).
  • Medical document.
  • Employment document.
  • Faith-based document that includes the name and address of the issuing organization.
  • Insurance documents, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental, and vehicle.
  • Internal Revenue Service or California Franchise Tax Board tax return.
  • California title or registration for a vehicle or vessel.
  • Change of Address Confirmation by the United States (U.S.) Postal Service (Form CNL 107).
  • Document issued by a government within the U.S. or the U.S. government institution as defined in California Code of Regulations §16.02(b).
  • Property tax bill or statement.
  • Record of a financial institution as defined in California Code of Regulations §16.10(c)(16).
  • *Court document that lists the applicant as a resident of California.
  • *Letter on letterhead from a homeless shelter, shelter for abused women, nonprofit entity, employer, faith-based organization, or government within the U.S. attesting that the applicant is a resident of California.
  • *A parent, legal guardian, or child may use a birth certificate, a spouse or domestic partner may use a marriage license domestic partner registration certificate to trace his/her relationship to the individual to whom the acceptable residency document(s) were addressed

The 3 following documents do not apply to AB 60 applicants:

  • Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard issued by the California Secretary of State or a local California county elections officer.
  • Proof of payment of resident tuition to a California public institution of higher education.
  • Original copy of an approved Claim For Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption (BOE-266) form filed with a local California County Assessor.

For AB 60 applicants only, a California DL/ID card is acceptable.